Monday, October 22, 2007

Jarum is going to Iraq. We just found out this morning. Well, he found out this morning. I found out about 45 minutes ago. This does not come as a surprise. He volunteered for this last week, so we knew it was a possibility. We figured it was better to volunteer to go now (when it is nice and cool there and because it will be in a green zone) instead of waiting for the Army to send him goodness-knows-where. Also because it is only six months instead of the standard 15. That is also a happy. While he will be missing the Holidays and a few birthdays, he will be back in time for Jacob's eighth birthday, and that was the only thing we were really worried about.

So, yeah. That's that and all is well.

Naomi

3 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Dear Naomi and Jarum,

It's Tuesday morning and we just finished breafast at this charming B&B in Sherbrooke. We haven't been able to access the Internet until now, so we are just hearing about your news. We have been praying for you and Jarum and your family (actually we ALWAYS pray for you)that whatever is right for you all would be what would happen. We are confident that all will be well and we're so proud of Jarum and his willingness to do this. It can't and won't be easy, but aren't we so blessed to have each other--all of us? Aren't we blessed to have testimonies and faith and to know that we don't have to be afraid?
We have had some amazing experiences here. Sunday was especially poignant. We went to church in a recently constructed and dedicated chapel in Montreal. It was filled with a group of humble saints--different ethnicities and backgrounds and yet all together because of their love of the gospel and their faith. I couldn't believe it. When I was serving there we met in rented spaces, some of which were just awful. Now, because of the efforts of missionaries and local members, the church is growing. I met a man who served as a missionary around the same time as I did. He is a native and was telling us that the Montreal Temple doesn't depend on files coming from Salt Lake becuase the family history work is exploding here in Montreal. There are so many names submitted from these members that they don't have enough people to do the work. Isn't that something? Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to convey is that we, your little family and all of us, are involved in something very real and very lasting. Jarum is going to come in contact with so many different people--natives as well as soldiers from other countries. He's prepared and he is good and he will be blessed for his willingness to once again serve. The Lord will use him. And you will be blessed in his absence with ability beyond your own. It's just how it works and I am so grateful to know that.

We'll post some more fotos tonight.
We are off to Quebec City in just a few minutes.

We love you!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

I still think your best choice would be to come live in Syracuse. I don't know who would willingly pass up an opportunity like that!

We have your family in our prayers!

(Come to Syracuse!)

Tara said...

You guys are wise, we "worked the system" the best we could too so we could avoid the 1 yr to Korea. I have to say, I have met some of the most amazing, strong, and faithful sisters with testimonies like you would not believe, and they are the women who have raised their children through more military hardships and deployments than anything. It was seeing these women that I thought it might not be so bad in the long run, if enduring through the hardships might possibly turn me into one of these amazing women, then I should not fear it. Don't get me wrong, I think ALL women are amazing in their own way, but there is something that sets the wives of deployed soldiers apart from the others forever. Having known you for most of my life, this may be a "refiners fire", but you are going to come out a more incredible woman than you already are, because if your faith, inner strength, and fiery personality. :)