I'm starting my last(?) week in Springfield tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be able to say goodbye to the land of Lincoln for a while. It's not a bad place at all, but it is not exactly exciting, especially after my last to projects in Austin and Seattle. If you're ever there, though, you have to go to the Lincoln Museum. Though not as large as the Smithsonian museums, it had the same quality feel to it.
The most interesting thing I did last week was on Monday. After flying into St. Louis (I usually fly there because the flights to Springfield are not very convenient or reliable) I took time to go to the Gateway Arch.
It's a beautiful structure, designed by I. M. Pei (famous architect, designer of the Pyramid at the Louvre). It's part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (note to Rachel and Jeremy: it's a great place to learn more about the Lewis and Clark Expedition as the have a great museum under the arch dedicated to it).The arch has a tramway that takes you to the top so I decided to take the ride. This is not for the claustrophobic or for anyone the slightest bit afraid of heights.
The tram consists of 8 cars about 5'x5' with a curved ceiling that is about 5' at it's apex. It has one little window in the door through which you can see almost nothing--just enough to know that you are going up, up, up! As you go, the car continually adjusts itself so you are always mostly vertical (a total rotation of 155 degrees). It has been described as part roller-coaster, part elevator and part ferris wheel.
Here's a photo from the web-site.

The view from the top is pretty spectacular. Here are some shots from my cell phone.



I hope everyone has a great week.
Dad
4 comments:
Wow! A post from Dad! You're right--Mom is an optimist, but she's on the money this time. I really enjoyed hearing about your adventures in Illinois (and we were particularly taken with the gals in the tram car--wondering who your lady-friends were before reading the whole of the post). I'm excited to see where your job takes you next, even if it's just to your basement office (also not for the claustophobic?).
P.S. We have a great fondness for Lewis and Clark: two great white men who "discovered" the West. Where would we live if they hadn't?
I want to take the roller-coater/elevator/ferris wheel ride. It sounds delightful! And I would covet a phone that takes such great pictures, but I guess I shouldn't spite the breadwinner. Love you!
Yay! A post from Dad! I loved looking at the pictures. Jarum, Jacob and I have been on that very freeway seen from the Arch when we went on our great trek from Utah to Florida. We were amazed at how tall that Arch was!
And I also covet such good phone pictures. :D
LOVES
Post a Comment