Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Good and Easy Pork

I made this pork recipe from our ward cookbook yesterday, and it was pretty good! I can't say that it's necessarily "health" food, since it uses a cheap and therefore not ultra-lean cut of meat, but it's cost-effective and tasty. Here it is:

Dad's 5-Step Pork (I don't know why it's called "5-Step")

1 lb. country boneless pork spare rib, cut into bite-size pieces (this recipe fed me and Jeremy, and we had just under a pound of pork, so adjust as needed)
1 onion, chopped (a small onion seemed more than enough)
2 T soy sauce (Jeremy finished our soy sauce, and all I had in the fridge was a soy sauce packet from Wegmans, which is just under 1 T, but it still worked out)
3 T balsamic vinegar
4 T sugar
6 T water

Stir all ingredients in sauce pan except onion. Bring to boil then cook on medium heat for 20 minutes (be sure to use a big enough sauce pan, as the cooking liquid gets somewhat foamy). It should be watery at this point. Add the onion and turn heat to medium-high to evaporate most of the liquid. This dish is done and ready to serve once the sugar has caramelized and the meat is glossy and sticky. (When I made it last night, I stirred it constantly during the sauce-reduction phase, which I think helps to prevent scorching. When I decided it was done, there was very little liquid left.) Serve with hot rice.

Anyway, give it a try if you're interested. If you serve two people, it only costs like $1.50 per serving or something. I've had cheaper dinners, obviously, but that's a relative bargain!

I also tried a new recipe for a corn-chicken-potato soup on Sunday, but I'm not quite ready to pass it on yet, as I think it is lacking something. When I was eating the leftovers yesterday, my thought was that perhaps it needs curry. I'll let you know!

No comments: