Saturday, October 17, 2009

C'est finis

I am not at all sad to look out the kitchen window and see empty grow boxes. Even though our garden didn't produce as well as years past, we enjoyed everything--apricots, peaches, peas, beans, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, carrots and of course, weeks and weeks of raspberries. (I just picked some last night!) We harvested 13 pie pumpkins, which are scattered around the house as part of my fall decorations, as well as in a basket on the porch. We've loved it all. We already know what we will do differently next year, but I'm ready for this new season and I'm in love with the colors splashed on everything-the trees, the shrubs, and the vines make me almost cry, they are so wonderful. I want this season to last for at least three months. Is that asking too much?

This pizza was a summer favorite. Almost everything on it was from our garden, but the best part was, as always, the homemade whole wheat crust. Honestly, it was unbelievably delicious.
Pumpkin soup, although not homemade was organic and embellished with garden grown tomatoes and homemade croutons.
We were lucky to catch the color over the Alpine loop. We drove up one Monday evening and by the end of the week when I drove up again with Grandpa and Megan, there wasn't nearly as much left.

Just because I loved the contrast.

Don't you love a basket of pumpkins?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Everything looks wonderful! You should post a the recipe for your pizza dough.