Saturday, February 19, 2011

Believe it.

Last night our dinner club went to UVU's Culinary Restaurant. The menu consisted of all things Southern. In a phone call with Megan earlier in the evening I had bemoaned the very idea of having to go. First of all I was SO tired, and secondly, I couldn't imagine there would be anything the least bit 'healthy' on the menu. (I can hear the rolling of your eyes.) Megan's response to that comment was that such food would be totally wasted on me.

I thought she was probably right.

Happily I perked up on the drive down to Orem. This particular group of people has that affect on me--which is why I love them. As we waited to be seated, and while perusing the menu, something miraculous happened to me. I actually made a split second decision to simply relax and enjoy the food.

The main course offerings were: alligator, frog legs, gumbo, pulled pork and cat fish.

OK kids, which do you think I chose?

Well, you are ALL wrong. Dad ordered the gumbo and I ordered.... the frog legs!

Yes.

I did.

The most amazing thing is that I really liked them (after getting past the fact that they actually looked like frog legs attached to the lower part of a frog body, except breaded and deep fried. The webbed feet were even still attached. I couldn't eat them).

It was such a fun meal. Between all of us, every item was ordered so we all got tastes.

Alligator tastes a lot like chicken, but the frog legs, do not. They taste...meaty.

The meal consisted of five courses--appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert. The quail appetizer and the onion soup were my favorites. The deep dish chocolate pecan pie (of which I could only eat a third) was the perfect finale.

Lesson learned for this healthy-food-obsessed MOM? Even though I am suffering from a latent deep-fried, sodium-induced headache, the evening was perfect. Great company, an adventurous attitude and delicious food (which did not kill me this time, but might if I ever repeat the meal again in my life time).

To my children. Be proud.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Booyah! My mom is the coolest mom in the whole world!

Unknown said...

I can ALMOST be proud, other than all of the disclaimers and warnings about repeating such a meal. And that there are no pictures of the frog legs.

Other than that, I really am proud of you!

Unknown said...

Ugh, again, that comment was from Rachel. I guess Jeremy is signed in!

Megan said...

I'm so proud! See? Southern food is the bomb diggity, and really, you're right...the only thing about frog legs is that they look all froggy.

I agree with Rachel though...where's the pics? That's what cell phones are for!

Now I really want Southern food...

Joan said...

Ya'll come over to my blog and see the pictures.

http://ostlerblog.blogspot.com/