Saturday, July 28, 2007

Summertime Deliciousness

Even though I know none of you will make this recipe, it was just so good that I had to include it here. I don't have any idea why we all don't eat more couscous. Talk about the easiest grain on earth!

Fruited Chicken Salad over Couscous

3/4 C water
1/2 C orange juice, divided
3/4 tsp curry powder, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
3/4 C couscous
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 C chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 C seedless red grapes, halved
1/2 C chopped green onions
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
1 11-oz can mandarin oranges, drained

(Note: original recipe also called for 2 C honeydew melon cubes and 1/2 C thinly sliced fresh basil. I'm still not convinced about the honeydew, but I certainly would have used the basil if I'd had any!)

1. Combine 3/4 C water, 1/4 C juice, 1/4 tsp curry powder, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

2. Combine remaining 1/4 C orange juice, 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp salt, olive oil, honey, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Stir 1 tablespoon dressing into couscous mixture, and set remaining dressing aside.

3. Combine chicken and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle remaining dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve salad over couscous.

Adapted from Cooking Light, August 2007

No comments: