Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to basics

The other day I went to Wal-Mart to return something, and since I had a little bit of time I decided to wander around the store. Basically, this means I went to look at tools, guns, and electronics. When I was wandering around electronics I ended up on the video game isle where there was a boy maybe 7 years old ROCKING OUT playing a baseball game on a Playstation 3. He openly shared his enthusiasm with anyone standing remotely near him, saying that he loved baseball and he loved Playstation 3s. Even when no one was standing next to him...or even in the same isle...he would give a loud play-by-play of his accomplishments. His excitement was as visible as it was genuine.

Walking away I thought about the last time I got that excited about something. It's been ages and ages, and I'm sad it's gone. Let's get back to basics people! I don't know what it was that made you uncontrollably excited as a kid or what it will take to find that excitement again, but for the sake of humanity and the world I hope we call all find it. If you don't look like this kid, you haven't reached it yet.

2 comments:

plaidmom said...

That is fun to think about kids getting so excited. As a mom, though, it is hard to think that it's PS3 that would bring that enthusiasm. Getting back to basics is seeing the kids out in the field with the ball and bat being just as excited! I am not thrilled with many of the selections that PS3 has as "games" and think even adults should be wary. But just the nature of the innocence of youth and the carefree love for life? Definitely, bring it on! Wish the "adult" world wasn't so real sometimes, and I could just go back. Getting older isn't all that.

P.S. I met your grandma when I was out taking fliers. She was just as enthusiastic about family history, and I just HAD to stop and talk with her. I had no idea she was your dad's mom until we exchanged names. She was definitely someone with a youthful zeal!

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear!!!!